Thursday 4 November 2010

Theme park - Fun fair - Fair ground

 After i watched Michel Gondry's works, I liked the hand-made, kind of rustic, crude, vintage and retro mood. One of his work, Three dead people which I posted it before, the girl on the horse part reminded me a merry go round.  Also I reminded the pictures of abandoned fun fair after Chernobyl disaster. Mostly when I think about  funfair or theme park, it gives very live, delight and enjoyable feelings, however, this Ferri's wheel in a desolate ground gave me an empty and spooky mood. 
Weirdly, I have always thought theme park looks a bit emptied and lost something during the day. Maybe because there are no neon signs and lights, so funny looking panels looks a bit weird to me. Like a clown doll.




Pripyat Funfair : The Chernobyle disaster happend 4 days before it supposed to be opened.
                              No one ever managed to ride the ferries wheel.


Ocean View Amusement Park


Luna Park



Tivoli in Copenhagen


Even though I think it looks spooky in the day, but it always looks lively in the night with all flashing light. 






As a result, I came up with an idea which is using contrast of day & night of funfair. We can use the shadows as it's turning day to night as well. Also it will give changing of mood (abandoned & spooky -> live & delight).


+

After we had a meeting with Jared on tuesday, he mentioned about Coney Island hotel.
It looks very interesting.

Wiki :

The Coney Island Elephant was a hotel and brothel built in the shape of an elephant, and located on Coney Island. In 1885, the Elephant Hotel, also known as the Elephantine Colossus, was built by James V. Lafferty and was 122 feet high with seven floors and had 31 rooms. The hotel became associated with prostitution. This lead to the phrase “going to see the elephant” being created, to mean going to see a prostitute. 






No comments:

Post a Comment